Monday, October 4, 2010

Butternut squash risotto


So we had more or less a week of straight rain here and it made me want something warm and yummy involving squash. This recipe is actually very easy to make. Yes, risotto takes forever to stir, but the prep itself was incredibly simple. Then you can do what I do and catch up with friends on the phone while you stir! Great for multi tasking. It's from the William Sonoma Vegetarian for All Seasons cookbook (which also has great vegetarian appetizers if you want to check it out).

Ingredients:
1 lb butternut squash
8 cups of vegetable stock
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup olive oil (I used less)
1 yellow onion (I hate onions and left this out)
1 1/2 cups arborio rice

Preheat oven to 375. Cut squash in half, scoop seeds and strings out with a spoon, then lay open side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook for 20-25 minutes (I had to cook mine about 35 minutes). You could do this the night before if you're trying to cut down on prep time.

Bring the stock to a boil. Turn to low to keep warm.

Scoop the squash insides into a food processor. Puree with 1/4 cup of stock. Put in a saucepan and add nutmeg, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.

Warm the olive oil in a pan. Add the rice and stir to coat for about two minutes. Ladle in some stock and stir until absorbed. Continue to ladle in stock, about half a cup at a time and stir until absorbed. Continue until all stock is absorbed. For me this took about 40 minutes, although WS claims it takes 20. WS also advised that you serve it with the squash puree on the bottom and the risotto on top, which is what my picture is of. Dan and I both liked it better with the squash puree mixed in. WS actually said to take the squash puree, put it in the bottom of a ramekin, then pack the risotto in on top, then flip them over onto the plate and garnish with parsley. Need I mention that I am way too lazy for that?

In retrospect I would probably use sage instead of parsley and add sauteed portabellas to give it more texture. But it is definitely a yummy, filling fall/winter vegan recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment